The formula-d drone racing championship is a event initially created in Spain, which provides local pilots the opportunity to compete in a professional atmosphere where they can improve their abilities. It also tries to bring new pilots without experience to this hobby offering an open race to all riders regardless of their experience.
The event was created in 2017 with a small group of pilots as a demonstration to be able to test our infrastructure and equipment.
This is our logo, it represents the fusion between the two words that define the name of our event, F for the word formula and D for the drone word. These two letters are intertwined and making a simile to a hexagon, which in turn represents one of the basic forms of the hexacopter where each corner represents one of its motors. The colors white and red represent the philosophy of our event. The white represents the simplicity and harmony between the competitors, the organization and the public. Red represents the intensity with which we represent this hobby that joins us as pilots.
Gender equality and inclussion
Gender inequality is an affront to human dignity, a challenge to the rule of law and an obstacle to development. Denying women of their rightful place in society - by depriving them of equal access to education, sports, justice or livelihood - means robbing societies of the talent and potential of half of their members.
There are several facts that incourage us to push forward to include general gender equality politics in our event.
- Two thirds of children aged nine to eleven draw a man when asked to draw a scientist.
- 16% of university are female.
- formula-d aim to eliminate this stereotype and bias whilst emphasising real-life applications in sports.
- 70% of sports now offer the same amount of prize money for men and women. But in the 30% that don’t, the difference runs into the millions.
- There are 2million more men than women taking part in sport at least once per week.
- 0.4% of the total commercial investment in sport goes into women’s sport.
- Only half of the governing bodies in sport currently meet the government target to have women making up one quarter of the people sitting around the boardroom table.
- Men’s professional soccer clubs in Europe are the world’s wealthiest sports entities and at least 10 European soccer players earn more than $14 million per year.
- When it comes to women, tennis is by far the most lucrative sport for female athletes.
- Coaches in women’s team sports at college level earn 63 cents for every dollar earned by head Coaches of men’s teams
Support and improve gender equality in formula-d
We believe that gender equality in science, technology, engineering, sports, and politics among many others build stronger societies.
formula-d generates conversation around gender equality in sports, using the world of drone races to inspire and provide a platform for a change to occur, we try to build high quality leadership and learning opportunities through drone education.
There are so many different applications within the world of drones, so we believe there is an aspect of this technology that will strike a chord with everyone. Through activities as diverse as aerial survey, obstacle courses, parcel delivery, creative art, and of course drone races, drones are so much fun that you forget you are even learning.
Gender equality in sports has always been a controversial topic. Even the founder of the modern Olympics, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, said in 1896, “No matter how toughened a sportswoman may be, her organism is not cut out to sustain certain shocks.”
Drone racing is not only the future, it is the present and all of us who are passionate about this hobby come together to enjoy and share.